Case study – UK House – Demolition and Alterations – CAT A
CAT A Refurbishment
180 Oxford Street
London W1W 8BD
Subcontractor: Demolition & Builders work package
About UK House
Being juxtaposed centrally between Mayfair, Marylebone, Soho & Noho, UK House is in the very heart of London’s West End.
The building occupies a prominent island site on the north side of Oxford Street only a moment’s walk from Oxford Circus Underground Station. The entrance to the building is positioned on the eastern side of Great Titchfield Street, which is pedestrianised, and within close proximity to the excellent shops, bars, restaurants and the al fresco dining of Market Place and Regent Street.
Situated in the heart of London’s West End, UK House provides an opportunity to work within an area thriving on the world’s latest financial, fashion, media and cultural trends. Externally the building’s façade has also been refurbished to maximise the finest elements of detail and architecture which makes this one of the most iconic buildings of the area.
About the client
Trend is a design and build fit out contractor serving the commercial office, retail and high-end residential markets mainly in London and the South East region of the UK. Trend is both a contractor and design consultancy.
We have experience working with architectural, interior, product, furniture and lighting designers for both commercial and residential projects.
1st Floor – 2700 sq m – Background scope
2010- Demolition of two separate occupied areas and provide shell and core ready for H&M contractors to fit out. Removal of Central concrete shaft and core at 1st floor level to open up space for large retail unit to take occupation. Installation of steel frame structure from basement level through to 1st floor to replace central core.
- All works carried out with in occupied building.
- Some steel sections at over 9 tonnes could not be craned onto site and had to be shifted in sections via the loading bay, goods lifts and via gantry’s making the installation a challenging process
- Some of the concrete structure removed and altered to suit to steel installation was with in occupied space
- Part of 1st floor typical pot and beam floor with very little load bearing capacity
- Worked closely with Principle contractor and FM to ensure very little disruption to tenants
- Construction of steel runway to shift steel and concrete from gantry to area of works
- Employ hydraulic drill and burst technique during normal working hours and out of hours the use of portable brock machines to break up concrete ready for removal
- Installation of insulated hoarding where backing up to live areas which reduced the noise level by 46DB
- 2-3 shifts per day ensuring the main body of work ran 24 hrs per day
Open area of approx. 27000 sq ft with just the lift core in the centre of the building remaining ready for retail contractors to fit out.
CAT A Works – Background scope
2011 – Strip out and CAT A fit out to 6th floor A and B including lobbies and toilets (3 months) approx. 20000 Sq ft
2012 – Sub Division works to 4th floor 4000 Sq ft (1 month)
2013 – Strip out and CAT A works to 2nd and 3rd floors including lobbies and toilets 53000 Sq ft (14 Weeks)
2014 – Strip out and CAT works to 6th floor C approx 5000 Sq ft
2014 – Strip out and CAT works to 7th floor including toilets and lobbies approx 23000 Sq ft
- Tight deadline
- Limited access and egress due to the building being occupied
- Operated on site 24hrs a day, 7 days a week to bring the projects in on time
- All major and noisy works carried out of hours to avoid disruption to rest of building
A contemporary loft feel, open plan space, with high spec finishes tenanted by the likes of Microsoft (Xbox Division), Essense a digital agency and LVMH the multinational luxury goods conglomerate
Trend have used Maeve Contractors for a number of years on a range of varied construction projects. Typically our projects have been in occupied buildings in the heart of London. Great attention is given to the occupiers and surrounding general public to maintain safety and not cause a disturbance.
Our projects are fast paced and designed as works progress requiring strong commitment on site and the ability to adapt at short notice. We always complete our projects with a high end finish within a demanding time scale. Maeve Contractors have performed well in all off these areas, improving as our working relationship has developed to date.
JEFF TUCKNOOT – TREND PROJECTS
Maeve Contractors Ltd
Unit 1, 5 Eastfields Ave,
London SW18 1FU